Police are investigating a theft from a house in Johnstone after two cars were stolen.
Overnight between Wednesday 8th and Thursday 9th November 2017 a house in St Cuthberts Crescent, Johnstone was broken into and a laptop and keys for 2 cars stolen including a White Vauxhall Zafira & Red Peuget 208 which were then driven off.
If you have any information that can help the Police please call 101.
Police have issued the following advice:
BASIC TIPS FOR KEEPING YOUR HOME SAFE
• Lock all house doors securely.
• Do not leave vehicle or house keys in the lock of a door or sitting or hanging up, in open view anywhere near a door, letterbox or window.
• Do not leave valuables (laptops, money, cards, mobile etc) downstairs overnight or anywhere near a window. Keep all such items out of sight, in a safe place.
• Ensure all windows (regardless of how small) and doors are locked and secured prior to retiring to bed for the evening.
• Consider fitting security lights around the vicinity of the external area of your home, which will activate via a movement sensor.
• Consider an approved security alarm and ensure it is used whilst the house in unattended for any time, as well as throughout the night.
• Consider the installation of CCTV.
• If possible, close and lock path and driveway gates at night, to deter persons entering garden.
• Gravel chips or other loose stones within the garden/driveway area can act as a deterrent to individuals from entering your property, due to the noise.
• Lock all motor vehicle doors and if available park within a garage overnight. Ensure no valuables/keys are left within your vehicle whilst unattended at any time.
• When going on holiday, inform friends/family or a trusted neighbour to keep an eye on your property and to contact police if they see any suspicious persons/vehicles near to your home.
BASIC TIPS FOR PREVENTING DOORSTEP CRIME
• If in doubt; keep them out.
• Keep front and back doors locked.
• Fit a door chain or bar – and use it.
• Only let callers in if they have an appointment and you have confirmed they are genuine.
• Always ask for ID.
• Don’t keep large sums of money at home.
• Ensure your doors and windows are locked.
• Look out for those in your community.
• Report any suspicious activity immediately.
• Call 999 and ask for the police if you feel scared or threatened.