Popular Paisley Bar and Restaurant Hamishes’ Hoose has announced they are to close for good this weekend after having a presence in the town for over 30 years.
The owners have said that the pub, which sits on Paisley High Street, has been operating at a loss since a fire in their kitchen 18 months ago. It is believed that they have lost up to £40,000 in takings following the month they were closed while repairs were carried out.
The bar was insured and a claim was made, however, the insurance company refused to pay out due to a “minor technicality”. Hamishes’ Hoose sued the insurance company but the firm was declared bankrupt shortly afterwards.
Since the announcement was made on their Facebook page, tributes have been paid on social media, with over 300 comments on the post within the first hour.
Comments have ranged from shock and disappointment to people sharing memories of nights out and of the great meals they had enjoyed in the Restaurant.
Hamishes’ Hoose, said: “After trading for over 30 years we are now closing for good this Saturday, the 7th April 2018. The reason we are closing is that 18 months ago we suffered a fire in the kitchen which put us out of operation for over a month with the resulting loss of over £40k in turnover, we were insured and claimed the company for the loss, however they refused to pay out due to a minor technicality, we sued them but they declared themselves bankrupt shortly afterwards.
“We kept going but the debt that mounted over the ensuing months due to the fire and insurance non-payment has proved too much for Hamishes’ Hoose. We thank all of our customers and friends for their support over the years both under the bridge and on the High street.
We hope you have enjoyed the good times we shared and the nights we hosted, we have enjoyed serving you with the best food around. Our hardworking staff who have been the backbone of Hamishes’ Hoose have our eternal gratitude.
“Sorry that it has come to this. We wish you all well for the future.”
Photo Credit: David Cameron