Voting in the election
This year, the elections in Renfrewshire take place from Monday 2 – Thursday 12 March at 5pm, and all young people aged 12-25 who live, study or work in Renfrewshire are entitled to vote.
Voting will take place online and computers will be available in polling stations for you to vote.
Here’s how you can vote.
- If you are a student in West College Scotland in Paisley, you will be able to vote at the polling station on Tuesday 10 February.
- If you are a student in University of the West of Scotland in Paisley, a polling station will be open in this location during the election period. We’ll inform you of the date on here once this is available.
- If you attend the Employability Hub in Paisley, a polling station will be open throughout the election period. Please see staff at the Hub for more information.
- If you are not a student or at school but live or work in Renfrewshire, you can vote at a polling station at the Marriage Suite in Renfrewshire House on Monday 9 March. You will need to show the polling clerk proof of your residence or employment in Renfrewshire.
- If you are at secondary school, you will be able to vote at a polling station set up in your school’s IT suite during the election period. Look out for more information in your school. You will be given time to visit the polling station and cast your vote.
All eligible voters attending polling stations who do not have a Young Scot card will be given a unique temporary number to enter the online voting system. After that you will:
- Choose your constituency.
- Vote for the candidates in order of preferences, 1 being the most preferred. You can vote for as many candidates as you want.
- Click the submit button.
If you have a Young Scot card, you can vote online anytime between 2 – 12 March until 5pm. You can vote from any device – from your computer, smart phone or tablet.
If you want to apply for a Young Scot card so you can vote online in the election, you need to apply before the end of January. You can find out how to apply on the Young Scotwebsite.
The election results are expected to be announced on Friday 13 March between 4-7pm. We’ll update this section with more information once this is available.
Join in the conversation
Candidates are encouraged to tweet about their manifestos. You can join in the conversation using#RenVoteSYP and #SYPElex
Related Articles: Renfrewshire’s Youth Parliament candidates hit campaign trial