A popular youth award ceremony has been run solely by local young people for the first time.
The fourth Positive About Youth awards, which celebrate the outstanding work and achievements of young people in Renfrewshire, was organised by Renfrewshire Youth Voice, and supported by Erskine Music and Media Studios and West Johnstone Youth Council, who provided sound, lighting and catering at the event.
Over 100 guests, including friends, family and sponsors, attend the awards ceremony at Renfrew Town Hall.
The winners from each of the six categories were:
- Young Artist of the Year (sponsored by Integrated Children’s Services) – Ferran Hart
- Young Carer of the Year (sponsored by Renfrewshire Community Health Partnership) – Jade Lochhead
- Unsung Hero Award (sponsored by Renfrewshire Community Planning Partnership) – Chiara Smith
- Young Sports Person of the Year (sponsored by Renfrewshire Tobacco Alliance) – Jacob Robertson
- Young Citizen of the Year (sponsored by Young Scot) – Kevin Miliken
- Group Project of the Year (sponsored by Scottish Youth Parliament) – Y’s-Pathways (Renfrew YMCA)
Pupils from Gryffe High School picked up the Young Artist Award on behalf of Ferran Hart, who sadly passed away before the ceremony. Ferran is fondly remembered for the significant amount of money he raised for the Teenage Cancer Trust.
Councillor Jacqueline Henry, Convener of Renfrewshire Council’s Education Policy Board, said: “Young people in Renfrewshire have a great potential to succeed in their chosen careers and make a difference to their local communities and that’s why it’s vital we celebrate these early achievements and encourage our young people to be ambitious.
“Renfrewshire Council is proud to support the Positive About Youth awards, which are key to promoting positive images about our young people and supporting them to participate with the wider community. The winners and runners-up of this year’s awards should be proud of their own personal achievements.”
Renfrewshire Youth Voice’s chairperson, Emma Hendrie, said: “I felt so proud to be a part of an event which not only brought together our youth forum with other groups of young people, but also showcased the talents of young people across Renfrewshire. It was an event for young people by young people.”
Young people aged 12-25 can find out more about local youth groups and the youth forums by contacting John Kennedy, Youth Services Officer, on 0141 889 1110.