Two men have admitted filling shutter doors of Ibrox Stadium with expanding foam before an Old Firm game.

Michael McKay, 23, of Johnstone and Ryan Cross, 19, of Dunfermline, committed the crime on 3rd April 2022.

Glasgow Sheriff Court heard that 50 to 60 individuals in black clothing wearing balaclavas turned up at the stadium in the early hours of the morning in possession of the foam.

Prosecutor Redmond Harris said: “Both men were seen on CCTV to taking part in vandalising blue shutter doors of the stadium.

“They put expandable foam around 26 blue doors.”

Security contacted the police who attended as the group were leaving into nearby vehicles and making off.

Mr Harris said: “Cross was running in the direction of an unmarked police vehicle.

“He was apprehended and found in possession of expandable foam.

“He was noted to have foam on his clothing and was wearing medical gloves.”

A Silver Ford Fiesta was also found to contain McKay and two cans of the foam within.

He was also noted to have expandable foam on his clothing and he was arrested.

Celtic would go on to beat their Glasgow rivals Rangers 2-1 later that day.

Mr Harris stated that he had no information on the cost of the damage.

The first offenders pled guilty to a single charge of malicious mischief.

Steven Breslin, 25, of Linwood had his not guilty plea accepted by the Crown.

Isla Sinclair, defending both men, told the court: “This was entirely out of character and the behaviour was a one-off situation.

“It was an immature act which they both recognise would have serious consequences for them and present with a significant level of remorse.

“They are extremely ashamed with the way they have behaved.”

University student McKay as well as Cross had their sentences deferred pending background reports until next month by Sheriff Bernard Ablett.

He said: “It seems that was some sort of concerted incident.

“It simply cannot be a coincidence that 60 people descended on Ibrox on that time – perhaps I can hear more about that on the next occasion.”

The sheriff also deferred consideration of a football banning order and granted both bail meantime.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *