Renfrewshire schools and nurseries will close on Monday 15th June 2026 after councillors approved an additional public holiday to mark Scotland’s participation in the FIFA Men’s World Cup.

The decision was agreed at Thursday’s meeting of Renfrewshire Council’s Education and Children’s Services Policy Board.

The Scottish Government confirmed earlier this year that 15th June 2026 would be a national bank holiday following Scotland’s qualification for the tournament.

Renfrewshire Council’s Finance, Resources and Customer Service Policy Board had already approved the additional local public holiday at a meeting in April.

Thursday’s meeting approved the arrangements for educational establishments, including an additional school closure day.

Council papers stated that the Scottish Government had already granted approval for an exceptional school closure on the date.

During the meeting, education convener Councillor Emma Rodden said: “I’m sure that the weans will be very happy.”

The council report said the number of school closure days during the 2025/26 academic session will increase from 26 to 27 days.

Scotland’s opening World Cup match is scheduled for the early hours of Sunday 14th June 2026, with the public holiday taking place the following day.

By Ricky Kelly

Main writer for Renfrewshire News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *