A speeding motorist who killed a taxi driver in a head-on crash has been jailed for seven and a half years.

Scott Gilligan also had no insurance when he got behind the wheel of a Vauxhall Insignia to collect a prescription at a chemist on 14th June 2021.

The 35 year-old, of Paisley, went onto the wrong of the road at a bend before hitting a Skoda Octavia driven by Edward Cullen.

This also resulted in Margaret Mansell – who had been out on her daily walk – being flung into a hedge.

Mr Cullen – known as Eddie – tragically passed away in hospital three months after the collision on the A736 Glasgow Road, near Barrhead in East Renfrewshire.

The much-loved 55 year-old had only recently returned to his private hire taxi job having survived a heart attack.

Miss Mansell, 60, meantime was also left badly hurt after being struck.

Gilligan was yesterday sentenced at the High Court in Glasgow.

He had pleaded guilty last month to causing death and serious injury by dangerous driving.

Lady Stacey told him he had been witnessed driving “at speed, aggressively and erratically” that day.

The judge added: “Mr Cullen lost his life – there is nothing I can say or do which will take away the grief his family has felt and will continue to feel.”

Lady Stacey added Miss Mansell has also “been left feeling not the woman she once was”.

Gilligan – who already had previous road traffic convictions – was banned from driving for a total of nine years and nine months.

Prosecutor Margaret Barron told the earlier hearing: “Witnesses behind Mr Cullen’s car saw Gilligan’s vehicle enter their lane at a bend on the road.

“He drove at speed, before colliding head on with Mr Cullen’s vehicle.

“The collision caused Mr Cullen’s vehicle to strike Miss Mansell.

“She was propelled over or through a hedge into the adjacent field out of view of the road.

“She cannot recall being struck but rather suddenly finding herself looking up at the sky from an adjacent bit of grass land.”

Miss Mansell tried to call her son, but could not find her phone.

Mercy crews arrived and it was Mr Cullen, who, despite being trapped in his car, alerted them that she was lying stricken in a field.

Both the victims were rescued and rushed to hospital.

Mr Cullen was found to have suffered “multiple complex chest injuries”.

He was initially in intensive care before receiving physiotherapy and rehabilitation.

But, the court heard he “remained weak” and sadly passed away on 10th September 2021.

The previous heart issue may have “potentially contributed” to the death.

Miss Barron said Mr Cullen’s wife Margaret was left “devastated”.

The advocate depute: “She has been unable to socialise and feels like a recluse.

“She stated: ‘Eddie was my future and I cannot see a future now. He (Gilligan) has taken all my future memories and happiness away. I will never be the same person’.”

Miss Mansell suffered fractures, a collapsed lung as well as spleen and kidney injuries, which needed “significant treatment”.

The grandmother – who had good health and an active social life – still remains badly affected by her ordeal.

The court was told Gilligan was found to have been driving at 69mph in a 40mph zone that day and had been seen trying to overtake a small van before the fatal crash.

He also needed hospital treatment following the incident.

By Grant McCabe

Renfrewshire News Court Reporter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *