A callous driver who mowed down a 15-year-old girl and then sped off leaving her dying in the road was today told by a judge he had given her family a life sentence.

The High Court in Glasgow heard that 21-year-old Shaun Gatti was on the wrong side of the road and speeding when he smashed into schoolgirl Robyn Fryar, who was an only child, as she and her friends ran across the road just before 2am.

Judge Lord Mulholland told Gatti: “You have delivered a life sentence to the family of Robyn Fryar of grief and loss as a result of your irresponsible driving while under the influence of alcohol.

“Be under no illusions as to what is coming.”

Prosecutor Alex Prentice QC said: “She was struck by the accused’s car and carried on the car for a distance before being thrown forward when the brakes were applied and the car came to a stop.

“Mr Gatti and his passenger Andrew Graham got out of the car, saw Robyn on the ground, got back in the car and drove off at speed.

“Robyn’s friend who saw the collision were hysterical as a result of what they had just witnessed.”

Robyn died three hours later in hospital from her injuries.

Earlier that evening Gatti was in Vienna’s nightclub in Paisley and was captured on CCTV drinking from a Fish Bowl.

Mr Prentice said: “Mr Gatti drank from this glass more than once, but the Crown cannot say how much he drank. He was traced more than 11 hours after the collision and it was too late to take a sample from him regarding alcohol consumption.”

The court heard that Gatti tried to hide his involvement in the death of Robyn by cleaning his car, removing the registration plates and hiding his badly-damaged car under a tarpaulin.

He was only caught after an appeal led to an anonymous call tipping the police off about the whereabouts of the smashed black VW Golf.

Police estimated that at the point of impact Gatti was driving at at least 41-47mph in a 30mph zone.

Gatti admitted causing the death of Robyn by driving dangerously and at excessive speed in Glenburn Road, Paisley, on 7th July, 2019, after consuming alcohol.

He also admitted failing to stop after the fatal crash which left 15-year-old Robyn lying dying in the roadway.

Gatti, of Spey Avenue, Paisley, also failed to report the incident and attempted to pervert the course of justice by hiding the car under a tarpaulin, cleaning it and removing the registration plates.

Throughout the hearing Robyn’s father Ian Fryar, 50, and her aunt Amanda Fryar, 49, sat sobbing in court as details of her death were revealed. Her mother Cheryl Madden, 50, who is separated from Mr Fryar, was too upset to attend court.

His defence counsel John McElroy said: “Mr Gatti is profoundly sorry for the devastation and grief he has caused her family by his irresponsible actions.”

Outside court Robyn’s dad said: “I don’t accept his apology. He didn’t show a bit of remorse when he killed my daughter.

“His car was smashed to bits. He travelled with my daughter on the car. When he stopped she was thrown clear.

“All he did was get out and look and then he left my daughter in the road dying.

“She was outgoing, bubbly and intelligent. She wanted to be a vet or a forensic scientist. She was very precious. She was an IVF baby.”

He revealed how he he had to go to Robyn’s school shortly after her death to collect her exam results and added: “I just sat and cried. She should have had her whole life in front of her. I’m never going to see her get married or have children.”

Robyn’s aunt Amanda said: “She and her friends had been celebrating the end of exams. She was a special wee girl.

Co-accused David Kinnon, 21, from Paisley, who was accused of causing Robyn’s death by taking part in a race with Gatti that night walked free after his plea of not guilty was accepted by the Crown. He walked free from court.

Gatti will be sentenced next month.

By Ricky Kelly

Main writer for Renfrewshire News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *