A terrified man was dragged off the street before being stripped naked in a dark graveyard after being taken on a 12-mile terror ride.

Keeron McCaffery was the innocent victim in a dispute his attackers had with a friend.

The 23 year-old was hauled into a car in Paisley and brutally beaten leaving him with serious eye injuries.

He had tried to get out the moving motor at one stage on the Erskine Bridge.

Keeron was eventually dumped in Langfaulds Cemetery in Bearsden, East Dunbartonshire and his clothes ripped off him.

He told jurors at the High Court in Glasgow: “I thought I was going to die.”

But, Keeron was spared when one of his assailants appeared to take pity on him and handed him back his jogging bottoms.

He managed to stagger free to a nearby house to raise the alarm.

Two thugs are now behind bars after they were convicted of being involved in the abduction and attempted murder of Keeron on 2nd December 2021.

Jamie Cunningham, 30, and Steven Quill, 37, will be sentenced next month.

Victim Keeron told how he had been short of cash in the lead up to Christmas and been offered £30 to “do a job” for a friend.

He agreed and was due to meet a man in Broomlands Street, Paisley that night.

Keeron said he saw who he believed the person to be and went over to speak to him.

But, after a brief chat, he recalled the stranger punching him before a BMW raced up and around four masked assailants leapt out.

They were also wearing blue latex gloves.

Giving evidence behind a screen, Keeron said: “They were bigger and definitely older. They started kicking and punching while grabbing me into the car.

“I was saying you have not got the right person. You have f****d up.”

As the car raced off with Keeron held hostage, the attackers demanded to know where his friend stayed.

He told prosecutor John McElroy KC: “I was terrified, scared. I thought I was going to die.

“I was put in the back seat – a person at each side of me.

“They were punching the hell out of me. I thought I was going to get stabbed.”

As a blade was chillingly waved in front of his face, one of the thugs stated: “You are lucky you are not getting this, wee man.”

Keeron was warned to keep quiet with the gang aware of unsuspecting police behind in a car at one point.

He initially thought he had been “set up”.

Jurors were shown a photo of Keeron’s bloodied and bruised face that he was forced to snap on his phone and made to send to his friend.

Keeron recalled trying to make a desperate break for freedom

The victim added: “I managed to pull the door open. The door was literally swinging open on the Erskine Bridge.

“I was trying to get people’s attention for help.

“But, they (the gang) were saying: ‘You have f*****g had it, wee man. You are done’.”

Keeron remembered hearing the names Jamie and Gorby being uttered during his ordeal.

Quill was also known as Gorman and had the nickname Gorby.

Keeron ended up at the cemetery and was yanked out the BMW.

He said: “They just jumped all over my head – kept battering the hell out of me.”

Another car drove up and Keeron initially thought he could finally get help – but it turned out to be more members of the thug gang.

Keeron: “They came and said: ‘Ha, ha – you are f****d’. They ripped every stitch of clothes off me.

“I was lying on the floor in the scud. One of the boys then said: ‘That’s a shame, you are taking his dignity away’.”

Mr McElroy: “So, you are lying naked in a graveyard on a December’s night at 10pm?”

Keeron: “Just lying there. They gave me one pair of joggers back.”

The stricken victim eventually got help before police rushed him to hospital.

The trial was also shown photos of his horror injuries. This included “significant bleeding” around his left eye.

Mr McElroy asked him: “After this incident, how has it affected you?”

Keeron: “It has changed my life.”

He said his eyesight before was “perfect”, but is now “terrible”. He cannot see without wearing glasses.

The attempted murder charge stated Keeron was assaulted to his severe injury, permanent disfigurement and impairment as well as to the danger of his life.

Cunningham and Quill had pled not guilty to the accusations.

Quill claimed the only time he had met Keeron before was at a house in Kirkintilloch, East Dunbartonshire, but the victim denied in court knowing him.

Both were remanded as sentencing deferred for reports.

By Grant McCabe

Renfrewshire News Court Reporter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *